Monday, June 6, 2011

Momentum Gives Clarity

My career coach, Irene Marshall says "Momentum Gives Clarity."  So as I embark on this new adventure, this new chapter in my life, I continue to journal and make large check boxes next to tasks as I complete them.  This morning I was looking back at my  notebook as I prepared my Five Year Career Goals Plan for our coaching session and realized I've had momentum from day one, the day I found out about my lay-off.  This is quite encouraging when one feels like they may be getting nowhere. 

One of the first "tasks" Irene discussed with me is letting go of  NWP.  She talks about how the concrete things surrounding us keep us in connection and prevent us from moving forward.  Therefore, my first work today is to pack up NWP memories and put them out of site for now.  I can do this!  I love concrete tasks!   I actually started the task a few weeks ago without even realizing; now it will be taken to the next level.  My goal today is to sort things to save (for now), things to send off to another site, and things to dump.  My business cards are headed to the burn barrel, my NWP cup will get packed...someday it may be just a nice memory...for now it's a diversion.

Irene also talked me though finding a balance as I look inward and outward simultaneously.  I am charged with writing down my optimal work environment in very specific terms.  This reminded me of the email from Misty Blouse, a friend of a friend, who lost her job but is a single mother and had far greater challenges than I am facing.  Seeing the writing on the wall at her place of employment, Misty watched "The Secret" ( recommended by friends) and then jotted down three broad but specific goals...stuck them in a magazine and forgot about them.  To make a long story short, she did get laid off, she was faced with reinventing herself, and she now has a dream job.  Her email was so encouraging and confirmed that reaching out, contacting people, exploring and research are a good direction for me at this crossroads.

Irene also "gave me permission" to stay true to my gifts and skills as an educator while taking time to explore other ways to express my self.  She recommended, "What Should I do With My Life" by Po Bronson and a couple of exercises to help me continue the momentum toward clarity.

As I end this Patish today, I am thinking about Newton's Law of Motion,

"An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction.unless acted upon by an unbalanced force."  Issac Newton

Dear Issac, I've been thrown off the roller coaster  and am adapting your  law as my own today,

" A person at rest stays at rest and a person in motion tends to stay in motion.  It's your choice when hit by an outside source, unexpected event, IE:  job layoff." Patish

I've never been at rest, and always been in motion, so why stop now?

No comments:

Post a Comment