Friday, December 16, 2011

Life Changes

My husband asked recently why I wasn't writing my blog.  I quit because I didn't want to share the darkness in my life; however, I was reminded today that we need to share our struggles as it is through them we grow and help others.  So, today I write.


As I'm looking back over 2011, it is hard to believe how much my life has changed.  I spent the first few months grieving my job loss from the National Writing Project, my purpose for living the past few years.  First I mourned for the organization, then on to the friendships, then on to the job aspect, and finally "the divorce."  Even though, I was just let go June 1, it seems ages ago now.   

I spent the summer in an oblivious state of shock  Playing with my granddaughter for an unforgettable seven weeks and entertaining company from June-August kept me wonderfully distracted.  Not to mention, we attended a family reunion back in July as well.  It was easy to slip into a "summer vacation" mode of thinking.  I learned how to calm myself, relax, and live totally in the moment which is a place I hadn't lived in years...maybe never before, actually.
 
As September arrived, another big change came our way.  Matt's contract ended.  It was at that point I began to note the real changes taking place in my life on so many levels.

Have you thought about unemployment insurance paperwork; I never had.  I'll never know how an uneducated person manages to get through it.  It took days to do the computer work and get the verifications needed.  Funny, I'd paid into the system some 45 years, but I'd never thought about actually needing it and how it worked.  Now, it feels uncomfortably like a handout. 

Do you know that Cobra  healthcare insurance costs twice as much as your monthly mortgage...or more.  I'd never thought of that either.  Living as a professional the last 38 years, I'd always had health insurance through my employer.  Do you realize what a benefit that is?  Not to be taken for granted!

What do you say when someone asks you what you do?  For years that has been one of the first questions I ask someone when I meet them.  NO more!  We easily equate people with their job.  But, a job is just that...a job.  It doesn't define a person.  Still, I choke every time someone asks me what I do.   Should I say what I used to do? 

Did you know job seeking has become a Google keyword match.  Your resume can go unread should a term not match the employers data base.  Should you make it to the interview process, you're looking at a series of interviews, eight, nine, ten with different employees.  I can quote the rejection letters, "Thank you for your interest in>>>> Though your resume and credentials are impressive, your skills do not meet our needs at this time."  Rephrase those two sentences and all the "no thanks" sound the same. I picture HR professionals accessing the same site and printing multitudes of these notices at a time.  They come in emails, texts, and hard copy.  But, they are all the same.  Sometimes, they mention the number of applicants.  "We had 100's or 1000's for instance.  I think winning the lottery might have better odds now. 

Here it is a few days before Christmas and I am surrounded with reminders of our situation.  The home For Sale signs greet me as I come and go, my email is full of advertisements, no phone messages on the home phone or my cell, no deadlines...no purpose.  Sometimes it feels like we are invisible.  Everything around us is moving past us, through us, beyond.  People begin to avoid you as they don't know what to say.

I got in my car this morning and thanked God for it being paid off.  Looking at the gas gauge,  I realized it was almost empty.  While employed, I  thought, Oh, time to fill up.  Now, I think, Wow, there goes 50 dollars.  How many more times will I be able to fill the tank?  Will I be living in this car at some point?   

I'm off to the YMCA to exercise, thinking about the membership dues that will need to be paid soon. I remember the homeless in our area can get vouchers for showers there.  I wonder if I'll be part of that program by the end of next year.

I pass our church and think about how much I used to give.  We always adopted at least one family to buy gifts for and contributed to the food baskets, pastor's gift, and maintained our monthly contributions.  This year I was only able to purchase candles for the windows.  We pray to keep our monthly contributions going.  I know every member is critical to our little church to keep things going. 

  So, I drive on past the church and join in the exercise class at the YMCA pool.  A fellow exerciser asks, "Now, what is your name?  I know you've been here before.  You have that traveling job; what is it you do? "  Yep, there it was, that question again.  I told her I used to work for NWP.  Her response, "Oh, you're retired now."    "No, just a product of cutbacks," I replied, feeling the need to be honest.  She looked away.  I don't blame her; I'd like to look away too.  "What's your name? I asked, hoping we could continue conversing.  She shared that she was retired and told me she used to work in Real Estate.  Later in the locker room, she was sharing stories about her recent trip to Austrailia.  I thought to myself, Ahhh, that is what I dreamed life would be like at this age and stage.  The disappointing rush of reality washed over me.  Suddenly, I felt like I was choking and couldn't wait to dress and leave. 

Back in the car, I took a deep breath.  The sun was shinning, very unusual for the Oregon Coast in December.  The trees were the greenest green and the sky  bright blue with wisps of clouds to punctuate the beauty.  All I have to do is this moment,  I thought.  Being thankful is free and being thankful is something I can control.  I thanked God for the beauty around me, the car, the warm home, and my family and friends I love so dearly. 

Arriving home, there was a box on my porch, a big red box, "MOM and DAD" it was addressed.  My heart filled.  This is all I need I thought as I placed it on the floor where we used to put up a Christmas tree.  This and my sister's fudge arrived today.  How thankful I was to have an address for these gifts to be delivered. 

2 comments:

  1. This piece is beautiful. I knew you'd had setbacks, and I so appreciate your sharing this piece. I so wish I had something to help, but just know that I'm thinking of you and your family and praying as well. So sorry to miss that "0" birthday! I'm right there with ya...Love from SC, Harriett

    ReplyDelete
  2. sigh... Tears well in my eyes as you tell your story so familiar to my life. Give thanks for not going it alone. Mother Earth's beauty keeps me going as I look at the majesty of Pikes Peak and the deer that find refuge in my yard. :) Know I would never look away or define you by your job. Love and hugs! j

    ReplyDelete